Vegetable Confetti Cantonese Fried Rice Cup + Bubbly Ginger Limeade
Kids in the Kitchen! Recipe Ketch-up!
Cooking serves multiple purposes: it nourishes us, gives us freedom and autonomy to choose what we eat, and allows us to connect to the land where the food is grown. Kids don’t think about these things most of the time, but the seeds are planted early when they spend time in the kitchen. The goal of our microwavable mug recipes is two-fold: one, we want to inspire kids to be empowered to try new things at home in the comfort of their own kitchens, and we also want to teach young chefs skills that bolster their independence. Independence in the kitchen crosses over to all other areas of life. We love this fried rice recipe for its adaptability, approachability, and ability to spark conversation about food waste and global cultures. AND, it’s such a great way to bulk up the nutrition of plain rice, with some garlic, which we already know most kids love both!
Happy & Healthy Cooking: Chef Erin & Chef Jacqui
HEY PARENTS! This recipe requires a microwave. Please open any cans (i.e. canned mushrooms) prior to class and discard lids!
- ¼ C pre-cooked white rice (or use Minute Instant ready-to-serve microwavable rice)
- 1 green onion
- ¼ C mixed frozen or fresh veggies (see below in blue)
- Chef’s choice: Choose at least 2!: frozen peas, carrots, and/or corn, frozen or fresh spinach, cherry tomatoes, celery, bell pepper, fresh shredded carrots, fresh or canned mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 egg*
- 2 tsp + more low-sodium soy sauce*
- ½ tsp toasted sesame oil*
- 3 limes
- Sugar to taste
- ¼ C water
- 1 C ice
- 12 oz ginger ale (preferably without high fructose corn syrup)
- Pinch salt
- Handful of raisins, dried cranberries, or other dried fruit for a science experiment (and for snacking!)
ALLERGY SUBSTITUTIONS (for those items in red with a *)
Soy Sauce (GLUTEN Allergy): Sub GF Tamari (for gluten allergy) or Coconut Aminos (for gluten OR soy allergy)
Sesame Oil: Sub olive oil
Egg: Use ¼ C of silken tofu or omit
Subscribe to the Sticky Fingers Cooking mailing list
Subscribe to our newsletter, The Turnip, to receive exclusive discounts and updates, insider tips + tricks from our awesome team, and instant access to the Sticky Fingers Cooking Starter Kit for free!