Dressed-up Jack-o-Lantern Pumpkin Flapjacks + Creepy Cherry Goo + Whipped Scream
Kids in the Kitchen! Recipe Ketch-up!
- What do ghosts like even better than cherries on their flapjacks? BOO-berries & whipped SCREAM
- What did the cherry give to the pancake on her birthday? Flours
- Knock-Knock. Who’s there? Cherry! Cherry who? Cherry-oh, and see you later!
- What did the farmer say to the tree? I love you CHERRY much!
- What did the tree say to the farmer? You are CHERRYific
- What did the Sticky Fingers Cooking kids say to their witch shaped pancake? You are Cherry, Cherry scary!
Let’s give kids PUMPKIN to talk about with some tasty dressed-up flapjacks this week. We catch the Halloween spirit at SFC long before the actual day, and we love coming up with festive recipes that make the holiday even more ghoulishly delightful. Who doesn’t love to dress up at any age?! Kids may not be able to trick-or-treat as usual this year, but we’re going to make sure to lift their spirits, have some SKELE-FUN, and create some magic in the kitchen with these SPOOK-tacular recipes. Nearly every culture in the world has a version of the pancake, whether sweet or savory. That makes pancakes, aka flapjacks, a perfect creative blank, yummy, canvas for kids to paint. TRY our BITE-SIZED SCIENCE AT HOME! Making Whipped Scream! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
Happy + Healthy + Spooky Cooking: Chef Erin & Chef Jacqui
PARENTS: This recipe requires a stovetop, large skillet, and your assistance. Please open cans and discard all lids.
- 1 ⅓ C all-purpose flour*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon + more to sprinkle on top of flapjacks
- 1 C whole milk*
- 2 eggs*
- 1 C canned pumpkin puree
- 8 oz fresh frozen, thawed, pitted cherries
- ¼ C + 1 T sugar
- Butter or nut-free oil for cooking pancakes
- 1 C heavy whipping cream*
- Optional: 1 ¼ tsp vanilla extract
Choose 2-6 flapjack add-ins as you choose!
- Dried cranberries, raisins, cherries, or other dried fruit
- Sliced banana
- Orange zest
- Dark, milk, or white chocolate chips*
- Butterscotch chips
- Berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries)
- Pumpkin pie spice
ALLERGY SUBSTITUTIONS (for those items in red with a *)
FLOUR (gluten): Sub gluten-free flour blend
WHOLE MILK: Substitute plain soy, coconut, rice, or oat milk depending on allergies
CHOCOLATE CHIPS (DAIRY OR NUT ALLERGY): Sub Enjoy Life brand chocolate chips
EGGS: Sub ½ C mashed banana OR ½ C applesauce
HEAVY WHIPPED CREAM: Sub coconut cream (coconut cream will not whip the same as whipped cream)
Subscribe to the Sticky Fingers Cooking mailing list
Subscribe to our newsletter, The Turnip, to receive exclusive discounts and updates, insider tips + tricks from our awesome team, and instant access to the Sticky Fingers Cooking Starter Kit for free!