Choose-your-own-Adventure Buttermilk Slab Pancakes + Kid-Mashed Berry Syrup + Sparkling Orange Juice
Kids in the Kitchen! Recipe Ketch-up!
- Why didn’t the waffle go to the Pancake Party? He was a square!
- What do you call someone who can’t turn a pancake? A flip-flop!
- What do bus drivers put on their morning pancakes? Traffic jam!
- How does a panda make his pancakes in the morning? With a pan….duh!
“Try not to be like pancakes and get all flipped out! Be like syrup and go with the flow!” Times like these call for fast adaptation, and nowhere is this more apparent than when it comes to what’s for dinner. Sheet Pan Pancakes in the oven?! WHY NOT! Especially when we’re talking dinner for breakfast. Much like scrambled eggs, pancakes come to the rescue when we’re down to the bare bones of the pantry AND our well of creativity. They’re ultimate comfort food, any time of year, and because kids love taking ownership of any artistic endeavor, pancakes are also the perfect blank canvas recipe to get them thinking outside the box. Instead of “there’s nothing to eat here!” Why not inspire kids to look for hidden treasures in the fridge and cupboards? Have your kids will come to the kitchen ready with ingredients add-ins already picked out. As a fun additional activity, challenge them to go on a kitchen scavenger hunt for one or two additional ingredients to add to the pancakes. This recipe is a stellar. It can hold it's own will all sorts of unusual add ins. Bonus points for most unusual finds!
Happy + Healthy + Spooky Cooking: Chef Erin & Chef Jacqui
Hey Parents! Please thaw any frozen fruit and cut lemons for younger chefs
- 3 C all-purpose flour*
- 2 T baking powder
- ¼ C + 3 T sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 ½ C whole milk*
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 stick (8 T) unsalted butter*
- 2 eggs*
- Non-stick cooking spray or extra melted butter or coconut or olive oil
- 2 C fresh or frozen, thawed berries (any kind: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, or a mix)
- 5 large oranges
- 3 C ice
- 3 C sparkling water (from about 2 12-oz cans sparkling water)
Kid Chefs! Choose 3-6 additional pancake add-ins:
- Dried cranberries, raisins, cherries, or other dried fruit
- 1 ripe banana
- Shredded coconut
- Fresh, canned, or frozen thawed pineapple
- Ground cinnamon + sugar
- Sliced apples
- Sliced pear
- Canned mandarin oranges
- Orange zest
- Dark, milk, or white chocolate chips*
- Butterscotch chips
- Fresh berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries)
- Pumpkin pie spice
ALLERGY SUBSTITUTIONS (for those items in red with a *)
FLOUR (gluten): Sub gluten-free flour blend
WHOLE MILK: Sub plain soy, coconut, rice, or oat milk depending on allergies
CHOCOLATE CHIPS (DAIRY OR NUT ALLERGY): Sub Enjoy Life brand chocolate chips
EGGS: Sub ½ C mashed banana OR ½ C applesauce
BUTTER: Sub vegan, dairy-free butter (we like Earth Balance)
Subscribe to the Sticky Fingers Cooking mailing list
Subscribe to our newsletter, The Turnip, to receive exclusive discounts and updates, insider tips + tricks from our awesome team, and instant access to the Sticky Fingers Cooking Starter Kit for free!