Beastly Bruschetta BOO-ffett + Trick-or-Treat Chef Salads + Ghastly Grapefruit Mad Scientist Sodas
Kids in the Kitchen! Recipe Ketch-up!
- What do ghosts eat for supper? SPOOKetti!
- What is the most important subject a witch learns in school? SPELLing!
- Why didn’t the skeleton want to go to school? His HEART wasn’t in it!
- Why didn’t the skeleton cross the road? He didn’t have the GUTS!
- Why are ghosts so bad at lying? Because you can see right through them!
- What do ghosts use to wash their hair? ShamBOO!
- What do witches put on their bagels? SCREAM cheese!
We catch the Halloween spirit at SFC way before the actual day, and we love coming up with festive recipes that make the holiday even more fun! Who doesn’t love to dress up at any age?! Kids may not be able to trick-or-treat as usual this year, but we’re going to make sure to lift their spirits, have some SKELE-FUN, and create some magic in the kitchen with these SPOOK-tacular recipes. What’s more fun than playing with your food?! Bruschetta is a blank canvas. Toast the bread and pile it high with any combination of sweet and savory ingredients. Kid chefs will use some of the same ingredients for their bruschetta toppings as their salads, and delight in creating their own bubbly sodas like mad scientists! How did we make those sodas bubble? HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
Happy + Healthy + Spooky Cooking: Chef Erin & Chef Jacqui
PARENTS: This recipe requires a sheet pan. Please make sure all produce is washed and ready to go, cans are opened, and bread is sliced! Please pre-chop apples into chunks to make it easier for younger kid-chefs to chop.
- 1 sliced baguette, sliced Italian or French bread loaf, OR 12 slices whole wheat or sourdough bread*
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ lb tomatoes (cherry tomatoes work best)
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 1 C shredded carrots
- 1 small can black olives
- 8 slices mozzarella, white cheddar, or muenster cheese*
- 4-5 pitted dates OR ½ C raisins OR ½ C dried cranberries
- 5 oz ricotta or whipped cream cheese*
- 1 apple or ripe pear
- ½ C chocolate chips or chunks*
- ½ C olive oil
- ¼ C red wine vinegar, balsamic, or apple cider vinegar
- ¼ C honey OR maple syrup
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1⁄2 C powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pinch black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 3 large grapefruits
- 3 tsp baking soda
- Optional: 6-8 slices prosciutto, 6 oz package sliced pepperoni, or sliced turkey
ALLERGY SUBSTITUTIONS (for those items in red with a *)
GLUTEN ALLERGY: Sub gluten-free bread
DAIRY ALLERGY (ALL CHEESE): Sub dairy-free mozzarella spreads and dairy-free ricotta cheese OR pureed soft silken tofu mixed with 1 T nutritional yeast + pinch salt
DAIRY OR NUT ALLERGY: Sub Enjoy Life brand chocolate chips
Subscribe to the Sticky Fingers Cooking mailing list
Subscribe to our newsletter, The Turnip, to receive exclusive discounts and updates, insider tips + tricks from our awesome team, and instant access to the Sticky Fingers Cooking Starter Kit for free!